In 1932, Congregation Emanu-El, a Reform Jewish congregation, built their first Temple building at the corner of 2nd Street and Fountain. In 1961, they built their current facility, and sold the old Temple building to the Wichita Community Theatre.
In 1963, the building was formally dedicated with special guest Helen Hayes. A metal sign, denoting the building as the “Community Theatre Workshop” was installed above the front door.
From 1963 to 1993, the “Community Theatre Workshop” served as a rehearsal, storage, and office space. After a difficult board decision, all performances were moved from the Century II Little Theater to the Workshop.
In the early 2000s, various capital improvements were implemented. New carpet and paint revived the lobby. A new HVAC system was installed shortly after, and a hail storm and subsequent insurance claim paved the way for a new roof.
In recent years, strong attendance has allowed us to be even bolder in terms of capital improvements. New chairs, concrete sidewalk and railings were purchased and installed. Finally, in August of 2012, we will undertake the largest single capital improvement project to the building since the 1960s: New ADA-compliant restrooms.