Please note: no contest for 2020.
See history below:
CONTEST OPEN TO KANSAS PLAYWRIGHTS 17 AND OLDER
January 4, 2019- One Kansas writer will hear their original play brought to life by experienced actors onstage at Wichita’s iconic Community Theatre next year. The Reader’s Theatre committee of the Wichita Community Theatre would like to invite Kansas playwrights to enter the 2019 search for full-length plays, focusing on writers aged 17 and older. The prize is a public reading of the selected play.
Wichita Community Theatre is an all volunteer, non-profit community theatre organization established by Mary Jane Teall in 1946, that produces new and familiar work in their historic workshop and theatre, located at 2nd and Fountain in Wichita, Kansas.
Call for Entries – Adult playwrights (17 and older) have a midnight, February 15, 2019, deadline.
The theatre is calling for full-length plays.
- submit your full-length play (minimum of 75-minute estimated run-time)
- you are welcome to select your own topic, no restrictions
- NO musicals, please
- please submit play in English in standard traditional play format
- submissions must be original, unpublished full-length plays
- translations and adaptations are not accepted
- no fee to enter
- one script per playwright
- please send your script with a short author’s bio and contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org, preferably as a PDF.
Adult winner(s) and runners-up will be notified by Feb 20, 2019. Winners will attend the reading of their piece at 2 p.m., March 24, 2019. (Auditions are scheduled for Feb 24, 2019, followed by a rehearsal on March 23, 2019.)
The playwright MUST be either currently living in Kansas or the KC Metro Area to submit or be a former Kansas resident who retains ties to the state. If you are not living in Kansas at the time of submission, please note when you lived in Kansas and why you are no longer in the state in your bio (i.e. Lived in Kansas from birth to 17, now in Oklahoma attending university).
Please ensure you will be able to attend if you win, as we want to ensure the playwright can fully reap the benefits and feedback of a public reading. We reserve the right not to choose a winner.
Our past Reader’s Theatre productions:
- Something More by Kayla Horning
- Skull for a Skull by Lucas Patrick Miller
- The Miracle of Father Kapaun, an original script by Anne Welsbacher
- A Paper Tiger in the Rain by David Swanson
- The Big Read, selected plays by F. Scott Fitzgerald
- June Cleaver Sexual Deviant by Ben Smith
- Every Tuesday by Chelsea Smet
- My Libertie by Michael Criss
- Rainbow Stole by Lisa Sillaway Henshall
- Hotel Jerusolum by David Swanson